The brave foundation is a non-profit organization created to provide food, transitional shelter, medical, and counseling for veterans of the armed forces of the United States of America. The home was established in 1994 and is located off route 1, south of Milford,6632 sharps Road, Milford, Delaware.
The foundation’s primary goal is to help former United States Army veterans find jobs and attain independence.
The foundation facility has fifteen beds for men and eight beds for women and their children. Other services provided include; mental health, vocational, and benefits counseling. They also provide;
- Personal care management,
- Substance abuse program referrals,
- Medical services (referrals and transportation).
Veterans with jobs are provided with transport to work, appointments, and household items once discharged to live independently.
Veterans must meet the following criteria to be considered for admission to the facility:
– Must have a copy of DD214 (Certificate of release or discharge from active duty)
– Be eligible for a grant and per diem program through the department of veteran affairs.
– Meet the United States Department of Housing and Development (HUD) definition of homeless
– Have a personal plan to transition out of homelessness
– Must be able to live in a community environment and perform personal maintenance duties like cooking and other chores
– Admission is based on the availability of space and personal motivation
- – Length of stay will depend on an individual treatment plan to stay for a maximum of six to nine months.
How to donate to Home of the Brave Foundation
The foundation runs on grants and donations. Their list of requirements to keep the home running include;
- Money to provide services not covered by grants
- Gift cards or vouchers for residents to purchase items unavailable in the facility inventory
- Rolls and stamps
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Food products (meat, vegetables, fruits, coffee, tea, and bread)
- Bus passes that allow unlimited travel between 9.30 to 2.30 every day (DART)
- Trees for shade and windbreak around the farmhouse.
Other ways to donate are;
Adopt a room program- select a room in the facility (dining hall, kitchen, bathrooms, living room, bedrooms, staff office, or the study hall) and provide annual sponsorship to maintain the room.
Capital Campaign- the facility runs a brick sale campaign at one hundred dollars per brick. The bricks purchased will be used to build a patio or a sidewalk on one of the facilities.
19 min (15.8 miles)
via Rd 258 and Coastal Hwy
Fastest route, the usual traffic
Backyard Works Inc
26822 Lewes Georgetown Hwy, Harbeson, DE 19951, United States
Head north toward Sonny Blvd
Turn left onto Sonny Blvd
Turn right onto U.S. 9 E
Turn left onto Rd 258/Hudson Rd
Turn left onto DE-1 N/Coastal Hwy
Continue to follow Coastal Hwy
Turn right onto Sharps Rd
Home of the Brave Foundation
6632 Sharps Rd, Milford, DE 19963, United States