The Parson Thorne Mansion, also known as the silver hill, is a historic mansion located across the mill house in Milford, Kent County, Delaware, United States. Situated on a hill near the outskirts of Milford, it lies on a 1,750 acre of land and has a 300ft deep front lawn.
Its historical importance is because of men who contributed to the life of the town, state, and nation.
-William Burton, a former Governor of Delaware state, lived in the mansion between 1789 and 1866.
– John Clayton, a former Senator and Secretary of State under President Zachary Taylor, lived here between 1796 and 1856.
– Rev. Sydenham Thorn, Anglican clergy and co-founder of the town Milford, was also one of the early occupants of the mansion.
The architectural design
The mansion was built in Georgian style between 1730 and 1735 with a five-bay, two-story attic brick structure and a central hall.
The building exterior was remodeled in 1879, with three gables added across the front. Roofs on both center sections and the two side wings were raised to give it the present sharp pitch
On the first floor, there is a parlor directly behind the entrance of the hall, a fireplace wall with paneling, and two corner cupboards with butterfly-shaped shelves. There is a dining room in the lobby with a larger cabinet with butterfly shelves. The fireplace surround moldings and chair rails are untouched.
The first and second-floor plans are similar; each room has a fireplace. The west room fireplace is neatly paneled, and the east room has surround moldings and chair rails for a decorative look.
The west wing finishing is the same as the main house; it has a paneled fireplace, chair rails, and ceiling moldings with precisely detailed trim and has a plantation office look.
The west wing has a large cooking fireplace, beaded ceiling beams, plain interior finish, and a brick floor, indicating that this was probably the mansion kitchen—a staircase leading to the second floor with plastered walls and ceiling.
The rear wing has a paneled wall with a closet and a staircase to the second floor.
The Milford Historical society acquired the building in December 1961 and was listed on the national register of historic places in 1971. The parson Thorne mansion is now a treasured building and a famous historical site in Delaware. It’s ideal for those who like to visit historical places or study architecture.
27 min (19.7 miles)
via Coastal Hwy
Fastest route, the usual traffic
Backyard Works Inc
26822 Lewes Georgetown Hwy, Harbeson, DE 19951
Continue to U.S. 9 E
30 s (459 ft)
Turn right onto U.S. 9 E
1 min (0.6 mi)
Turn left onto Rd 258/Hudson Rd
7 min (4.1 mi)
Follow Coastal Hwy to DE-1 BUS N/S Rehoboth Blvd in Milford. Take the DE-1BUS exit from Coastal Hwy
13 min (12.1 mi)
Continue on DE-1 BUS N/S Rehoboth Blvd. Drive to NE Front St in Kent County
6 min (2.8 mi)
Parson Thorne Mansion
501 NW Front St, Milford, DE 19963